Friday, July 27, 2012

Trolling: The Game

You just lost the game.

Anyways, like everything else in the world, I've been trying to think of a way to turn trolling into a game.  Initially I wanted it to be something like a "sports" game where you built up your "roster" and tried to crash various forums with your trolls.  Your trolls would have stats and blah blah blah but it just didn't really work for me.  I couldn't figure out how to make it any more than watching people typing on virtual computers and seeing the troll face.  So I searched other genres and I think I found one.

Trolling: The Game (you lost again) is a Dungeons and Dragons d20 style table top game.  I'm kind of hashing this out as I go so forgive me if I leave stuff out.  Basically each player will have a character sheet that shows their troll's stats which I'm still trying to think up.  Then you have saving throws against other trolls which I'm still thinking about as well.  The point of the game is that you and other players face situations put forward by the DM and you attempt to troll other people without getting trolled yourself.  Consequences for failure can range from losing reputation points (which determines your troll's standing) to banning from the forum (which is essentially character death).  The figures of advancement are experience points which determine your troll level and can be earned through acts of trolling and reputation points which determine how well known your troll is.  Your troll level determines your ability and your ability to resist the trolls of others.  You also receive stat increases by levelling up.  Reputation is essentially a form of "currency" for the game.  You earn rep by pulling off trolls against other forum members and lose it when you get trolled.  You can spend rep to do stuff like getting mods off of your back and building up an army of NPC troll followers to assist you in major trolling.  I'm thinking about "equipment" that can be purchased but I'm not quite sure how that would work out yet.  Maybe stuff like memes that you can deploy to make others mad and IP spoofing to avoid banning.  Like I said, I am still hashing this out here.

So basically once the whole character is created you log onto your forum and start trolling.  Based on your character's style, you would employ different types of trolls and try to outmanuver other trolls who are your primary enemies.  Except at first, you may not know who the NPC trolls actually are.  So you have to employ trolling defenses against everybody or risk getting trolled.  There's nothing worse than deploying a well thought out argument to make the other guy look bad to get "you posted so much text" back and get trolled.  Reputation loss.  But then you can't just "eggs eggs eggs" to troll and get banned so TROLLING!

I don't know, I'm kooky.  I'll think about it some more while I'm supposed to be driving or something.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will REALLY have to work on my trolling.

T-Rod

RedChocobo said...

It's a role playing trolling game. It combines my love of d20 games with my love of trolling.

And most of all, its something I could actually make which is less than can be said for many of my mental projects.

westys said...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many points I'd get if I ever trolled? I will say this. This blog is far better than the forum lately.

Sok-Eye

Unknown said...

I do love me some d20 games...been playing AD&D off and on for the past 20 years! This would be a cool game...

RedChocobo said...

I've been thinking some more over the weekend and I think I might put some thoughts down. The hardest parts are the statistics and equipment. The "battling" is the easy part.

Anonymous said...

You could have assorted bridge trolls, internet trolls and hair trolls (my kids love those ugly things) running around a board trying like crazy to knock down the others' structures they are building.

Sok-Eye

Post a Comment