Monday, July 9, 2012

The Amercian Nightmare

People have it all wrong. American life is a vicious cycle.  You're born, go to school through 12th grade, ideally go to college, get a "career," have children, drive a minivan, raise your kids, retire, buy a convertible, and die.  This is what the American dream looks like.  Golden opportunity to contribute to society, exercise your right to vote (which doesn't count anyway,) and climb the corporate ladder. 
What a load of bullshit.
There's a man who has a '66 Volvo P1800S.  He bought it brand new when he was 25.  He's now 72.  It's got almost three million miles on it.  This guy has the right idea.  He bought it for $4,150 brand new.  Granted, that was a lot of money in the '60s, but if you break it down, that's $90 a year.  I pay twice that a month for my car payment.  Obviously, that's not taking into account the money he has spent on maintenance, repairs, fuel, etc. 
Point is, this man is happy with his car, and we could all learn a thing or two from him.  Do you think he's worried about the economy?  Nope. 
In this country, we have people driving brand new Lexus', living in $300,000 houses, going on vacations - and many of them are entirely miserable.  A lot of them are upside down on their mortgage.  Where's the dream in that? 
But we gobble it up.  We see a commercial for Apple's newest product, the iWipe 12 - that does everything a space shuttle does, plus it wipes your ass - and we just have to have one.  We subsequently discard our iWipe 11 as if it were a child conceived in the bathroom of a Ramones concert. 
Why do we do the same thing with our cars?  The amount of time, energy, and money that goes into creating a car is immense, especially since our economy is such a global entity these days.  One car may have materials from three different continents.  Mr. Volvo's carbon footprint is infinitesimal next to your average Prius driver.  He will never have to replace a battery that costs thousands of dollars, there's little to no plastic on his car to find its way into landfills, and his fuel mileage will make compact car drivers jealous even on a bad day. 
But his Volvo doesn't have infrared sensors that can alert the driver of the flatulence of the driver in front of him on the highway.  It has no blue teeth, and if he gets lost, he'd better have a smartphone, otherwise he'll have to pull out the map in the glove box.  And no one can fold a map!  That would be an absolute disaster!
This guy, however, doesn't have to give two rat's shits about the economy.  He's not the one ruining it by getting himself into an ocean of debt.  If the dollar was suddenly worth as much as a flea's dick, Mr. Volvo will still be able to fill his car and go wherever the hell he wants.  And that sounds like the real American dream to me.

6 comments:

MKBoyardee said...

w00000000t America

RedChocobo said...

What really gets to me is the number of things that used to be luxury items that society has turned into necessities.

Topheezy said...

Agreed. I mean I like the options I have on my car but they are things that used to be found only on the highest class of luxury car, but now you can get those and more in a Hyundai Elantra. The only option that was available for my car was Nav. Everything else was standard for the Accord Coupe V6 and that didn't include bluetooth or aux hookup.

LUVFORDGT40 said...

I drive a car built in '96 and I have a Tracfone. I smirk when I hear people complain about their wonderful new car, and fancy smart phone that never works right. I really rustle their jimmies, when I say I don't see the big deal about Costso.

Topheezy said...

Thanks for posting GT40! Keep trolling IRL!

Unknown said...

LOL this is awesome...whenever you talk about people driving the new Lexus, living in $300,000 homes...those are the Baby Boomers, or re: what's ruining, and will ruin, this country. They're all about Me Me Me, they belong to the Me Phi Me Fraternity...they're all about "what's in it for me" and "how can I benefit from it". They live and die by material possessions...and claim to be Christians, yet worship a golden calf called "stuff that I have to have, so I'll live beyond my means to impress people that I don't know/don't like".

U Mad?

Post a Comment