Friday, July 27, 2012

29Hz: The Low on Why I Like Bass and Car Audio

The Low on Why I like Bass & Car Audio



Written by: T-Rod

So this blog is not going to be filled with rage and broken eggs; I sense you are already mad about that. This will be about just as what the title says, BASS!!!!

I love bass, not the fish, the low frequency sound waves that are between 20 and 90Hz. I love how it just shakes everything around it and when really low notes hit, you can feel your insides be filled with bass.

I was never really into car audio and bass until my friend bought a 99 Passat and had 2 8inch subs powered by a 1500w amp in it. Those subs hit so hard. He still has that system in his Integra now. Anyways, that got me into car audio; what REALLY got me into it was my other friend’s system. He used to have 2 12s in his Nissan 200SX; I think that is what he had sub-wise. He currently has 3 12s in a massive ported box; don’t remember what they are powered by. I rode in his car about a month ago and my ears were almost blown out. Soo much bass, the jimmies of anyone within 50 feet were instantly rustled. So much bass he has; he broke his spoiler, drivers’ side door and a couple of roof braces. This system has REALLY gotten me into car audio.

I can not listen to a song without bass. I have the bass turned on in my car for the speakers; because I must have some bass, even speaker bass. The 6x9 speakers I have in the rear put out a good bit of bass for speakers rated at 60Hz on the low end. My not being able to listen to songs without bass is the reason I started listening to Dubstep. This type of music has epic bass. It has lots of lows, heavy drops and even some good mids and highs. Some of the Dubstep I am surprised has not blown my rear speakers. They are good speakers for re-producing bass, but the treble and sound quality they have are not all that good. But there ability to put out good bass overwhelms these other things.

I hope to get a system here soon; like in the next month. I want more bass. That and I have never bought anything for the car that it didn’t need. I bought speakers because the factory ones blew, therefore it needed them. I bought a head unit because the factory was dying; again the car needed it. A sub and amp will be something I WANT for it. I already have a system picked out, just waiting for B-day money (which I will be getting in the next week or so), so I can by it. It will not be an expensive system, my friend with the 2 8s is a $500 system and my other friend, well I do not know how much his cost, but I am guessing $1000+. My system will be $176 before a sub box. It will be about $200 with a box included. The system I have picked out is a Powerbass S-124DX 12 inch subwoofer, a Boss NX1600.2, 1600w 2 channel amp, and the sub will be in a sealed box. Eventually, maybe around Christmas, I will get another sub and then have 2. But for now, one will be enough. Also the title of this article, 29Hz, is the low end of the sub I am getting. It can reproduce bass as low as 29Hz, which is pretty low.



In the future I would like to really get into car audio; hopefully in the next year or two. I have been thinking of how I want to do it. I have thought of keeping Cam Cam when I get a Mustang and use Cam Cam as a audio project car, or keeping Cam Cam and getting an older Tahoe or Exploder (Ford Explorer for those who don’t get that), and using those as audio project vehicles. I can only dream now, but hopefully I am able to get into car audio the way I want to soon. I’d like to maybe run 4 12s in a ported box in some sort of vehicle. I will most likely, depending on my setup, enter it in audio shows and such. That is another thing I’d like to start doing is go to audio shows. I just never know when they are. So that is why I like bass and car audio people; with a little future plans blurb. I hope this rustled your jimmies just as lots of bass would.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job with the pics Westy. I like it

T-Rod

Anonymous said...

You will be deaf by the time you are 30.

Sok-Eye

Anonymous said...

Naaa, I won't be deaf. My friend has huge system and has been into car audio for like 3 years and isn't deaf. And he puts out enough bass to shatter a brick wall.

T-Rod

Machinereplica said...

Daisy has a nice 500W Boston acoustics system with a 12 inch Kicker solobaric L7. I love high quality audio, especially intrinsic low end convergence.

MR said...

Funny thing about Bass, your ears probably won't go deaf from it because your ears can't actually "hear" the "loud" part so to speak. I'm sure dogs and other animals that can hear a wider range of frequencies don't care for it though. The noises that damage hearing have a higher frequency, usually in the "treble" range.

Anonymous said...

Very true. Normal subwoofer bass is between 20 and 90Hz. If hearing damage is going to occur with low frequencies, it will happen at Hz below 20. 12Hz is the lowest frequency a human can hear, everything below that is felt or not at all.

T-Rod

Unknown said...

Yeah, I've been listening to my music loud since I was a kid, and I still have good hearing...it's all in moderation.

Is Sok-Eye an idiot, or just mad/jelly because her nether regions have more cobwebs than a haunted house on Halloween?

Anonymous said...

Yea I listen to my music loud also. All the time. And my hearing is perfectly fine.

Sok-Eye is just Sok-Eye. She is full of rage all the time. She also must like to Sok eyes or be sok eyed. Not sure, lol

T-Rod

RoTiCaFo said...

Sok-Eye was mad about this too? Wow!

I think the car audio stuff is really cool. It's really complex but really interesting. When I was in high school I had a system in my truck. I had a JL W5? And two big JL amps, one pushing the sub and the other just the Focal door speakers. It sounded fantastic. The whole truck was Dynamatted too to keep it from rattling.

I'm an audio dilettante though because all I really knew other than just the simple specs was that it sounded awesome.

The Jag I have has a pretty good sound system for a factory one.

Anonymous said...

It is complex. I don't fully understand all the different numbers and all quite yet, but I am learning. But also like you said it is interesting, I love music and just the fact of letting the music release its full potential through a sub is awesome. I listen to alot of music with low bass and heavy drops and a sub would make them much more pleasant to experience.

I have heard Jags have great facotry systems, never heard one though. I like my dads Bose system in his Yukon. Sounds good and the 10in factory sub in the rear puts out some good bass. I think it is a 10, might only be an 8.

T-Rod

Anonymous said...

I am not mad. If you "men" feel the need to insult a woman who disagrees with you, I feel very sorry for your wives or boyfriends.

RoTiCaFo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RoTiCaFo said...

I congratulate your ex for escaping from you!

Anonymous said...

I am sure you and he have a lot in common. Tell me, do you have a bunch of illegitimate children out there or are you like my ex. came by them thru a committed relationship and then bailed because you could not deal with the responsibility?

Sok-Eye

Post a Comment