Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Sixey Ate A BRZ

For those that don't already know, Sixey is my lightly modified Mazda 6 S 5-speed.  She is happy.  Why?  Because she ate some alphabet soup.  It was tasty.

I was out on a trip to the grocery store on Labor Day when I saw a white car coming up in my rear view mirror.  I instantly knew what it was because I had been trolling it since before it was born.  It was a BRZ, the first one that I had seen on the road.  It had plates though so it couldn't have been that new.  The driver was younger than me and was driving the thing like an idiot.  The road we were on wasn't that crowded and I swore the first Alphabet Soup Car I saw I would race.  So as he started to come even with me I found second and stabbed the gas.  Being as my exhaust is loud my efforts did not go unnoticed and we were luckily coming up on a light.

I was itching for a fight anyways because the night before I had been taunted by a stupid kid in an RSX and couldn't give him what was coming to him because I had someone else in the car with me and she wouldn't let me go.  This time was different.  I was alone and I had the Alphabet Soup Car next to me.  The light changed and I did a little 1,500 "scoot-off" launch and he screetched a little which showed me I was racing an automatic.  When my cam got hot at 4,000 I just plain left him.  I think I had 5-6 car lengths by the time I wound out second so I just let off.  He came up beside again but he didn't give me a flyby or anything so I gave him a thumb and he returned which further cements my opinion that Subaru kids are pretty cool.

I wish it would have been a manual because picking on an automatic is frankly an unfair fight.  The manual would provide some challenge given that MT has them running times that are only very slightly behind what I can run in my car and they can actually get some RPM on their launch.  Given that I only have about 40-50 horsepower on one and they have 500 pounds of weight on me I think it would be fun.  I still doubt I'll ever see one up in the hills unless I arrange it. 

But now I can say I raced an Alphabet Soup Car.  I didn't have to troll or flame either, I just got a nice simple race.  But if you're in the Salem area and have a manual Alphabet Soup, let me know because I want a shot at a real one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever had a dyno on the 6'er Red?

-Chai

RedChocobo said...

On a fairly hot day she put 205 horsepower to the wheels at 6700 RPM.

Anonymous said...

That's an impressive number, though the manual surely helps by reducing power-train loss. Your only power mods are an intake and exhaust right?

-Chai

RedChocobo said...

I have a actual cold air which came with a simple box that modifies MAF signals to the ECU and jumps power quite a bit and then I have a Magnaflow after-cat.

Post a Comment